The Fall of the Goodly Knights of Westfold.
So it came to pass that the once proud ideas of honour and chivalry were laid to rest upon a cairn of broken spears and shattered lances. Once mighty emblems of a once honoured house, now laid to rest, like so much detritus, swiftly washed away.
They are dead, and laid to rest.
Slain not by the vagaries of war, but smote by the callused hand of time and custom. Archaic codes of just conduct and devotion to ideals once clasped sweetly to the breast, now outmoded and unnecessary in this new age.
Courage and honesty hold no place in this brave new world. Regrettable change has wrought little but ill; and even maidens though at once wishing to be swept of their feet do swoon but little.
Chivalry is dead.
I can’t seem to fathom how it is, that today, despite proclamations to the contrary, so many ladies seem to feel affront at simple gestures. It’s almost as if on one hand, the fairer sex seems to wish for someone to come along and do those little nice things for them; but on the other, feel awkward when someone actually does.
Case in point. Even though it has been chilly, it being winter and all that, no one has ever accepted the offer of my jacket, even though they might be shivering in the cold.
Case in point. Some people feel weird when I do random nice things like buy their favourite food for them without them asking, or remember exactly how many sugars go into their coffee.
Case in point. Even though I really don’t mind going out of my way, or even a little out of my way, to do a favour, some people just feel odd about it. Even when out of my way means a 5 minute drive in the opposite direction.
I’m sorry folks, I’m a generally nice guy by nature (although saying it out does seem a tad egoistical), so too damn bad! I will do the chivalrous thing from time to time. Deal with it. I will offer you my jacket, I will open the door for you, I will do little sweet things, I will listen, I will go out of my way; and I do that for any of my friends.
No comments:
Post a Comment