Monday, 20 August 2007

Cornering.

Sometimes it’s frustrating that people invariably enquire after my relationship status. It’s always ‘I think you should break up with her’, and they list a whole pile of circumstantial evidence. Circumstantial unfortunately, not categorical.

Apparently she was sighted on numerous occasions being intimate with different blokes, including when I was in Singapore. How accurate that information is, however, is unknown to me. It may be pure conjecture, but it is entirely possible that someone witnessed a single event, interpreted it out of context, and hyperbole and gossip did the rest.

Admittedly, my cynical side does have it’s suspicions.

Sometimes I can’t dispute the logic, but what really riles me is how some people stop making it about the relationship, and start making it about me; who must be a complete jackarse if I don’t immediately acquiesce to their (admittedly well-meaning) reccomendations and end what increasingly seems to be a non-relationship.

Some things:

 If I promised to do something, it will get done. If I promised to stay faithful, then I will be faithful. I take my word very seriously. Est sularus oth mithas.

 Being, or not being, in a relationship at the moment doesn’t affect me in any way. In this scenario, keeping the relationship nominally going is potentially advantageous because there is a slim chance of being picked up again.

 Yes I am that forgiving and patient. Anything less would be uncharitable and un-Christian of me. Forgiven so that I can forgive, remember? I’m not saying it isn’t difficult, just highly improbable.

But I’m not going to allow myself to be hurt by this anymore. I don’t have any expectations left, and if things should end tomorrow, then they will. If they don’t, then they don’t.

Folk wisdom tells us that life is too short to live with regrets. I say life happens, deal with it, because at the end of the day, it’s life. One shot.

Someone I care a great deal about once told me that if I really wanted to, I could get into a relationship tomorrow, so just leave Diane and be done with it. But I can’t, and I won’t. When I said I could love you, I meant it; and if I walk away now, then I’m not the man for you, or even the man I could be.

Taking ownership of a breakup is ridiculous. If someone leaves, and if the other party is really honest with himself; he will find that there was something wrong there in the first place.

No comments: