Wednesday, 10 October 2007

Of chicken karaage.

Amelia’s coming to Perth! We’re going on a road trip! Somehow the thought of that just makes me so excited and silly with happiness I wonder whether my chicken karaage had amphetamines in it (pretty damn good chicken karaage, I might add).

The whole idea is completely preposterous. From ‘I really think I need a break’ to ‘I’m booking my plane ticket now!’ to activating the webcam and going ‘See? See?!’ Oh the joyous spontaneity of life in it’s complete and utter random nature!

Took all of three or so hours too.

Spontaneity is precisely what I miss. A few years ago Stella mentioned that I had slowed down, gotten a little less ‘crazy’. I think I’m beginning to understand what she meant. Somewhere along the line, that zest for completely stupid and spontaneous things got drowned out in a sea of responsible action and stoicism.

I wonder if what I see as strength is also my weakness in that I somehow have forgotten how to live. I love life. But do I engage in life to the extent whereby I love living life? Maybe not so much.

Tennessee Williams once compared life to a burning house with no escape, with only a single window to look out of while it burns to the ground around you. The solution is very simple really, have you considered opening the window and flying out?

Amelia’s trip is going to be good for me. I can feel it. Plus I need to get away. A final hurrah to the end of my undergraduate existence. A small one, mayhap, but I sorely need a break for it’s own sake. I’ve sat in this quiet acceptance for far too long.

And I’m strangely happy. I either need more spontaneity in my life, or more chicken karaage.

No comments: