Thursday, 15 November 2007

Stupidity.

People are stupid.

I figure about 90% of the world is stupider than they think they are, while the other 10% are just plain stupid.

Stupidity is the third most common commodity in the galaxy after hydrogen and TIE fighters. – Corran Horn, Jedi Knight.


Maybe I’m just appalled at the standard of idiocy that permeates society, especially in what we refer to as ‘institutions of higher learning’. Seriously, I’m good, and I know I’m good. I make no excuses over the fact that I get much better work done in less time than the average student while exerting 75% of the effort and 50% of the stress. Even so, the quality of what I sometimes see is appalling. University students with the complete inability to string together a sentence, or formulate a convincing argument.

Maybe it’s me, but when students forget to do minutiae like check for spelling errors or read up a little bit more about the subject, I get awfully frustrated. Sometimes you don’t have to understand why this or that phenomenon is just so, all you need to do is know it and apply it. And yet somehow so many people are stuck on getting their heads around something irrelevant that they don’t grasp the actual damn concept.

The level of stupidity in universities amazes me. Either the bar has been lowered significantly, or the general intelligence and damned hardworking ethos of the populace has gone down a shit hole somewhere.

No comments: