Cars and other frustrations.
Somehow this Wet Wet Wet song lyric has been stuck in my head all day
If I never see you again
Think of me now and then
Though it hurts so sweetly
They say all good things come to an end
You’ve changed my life completely
I’m touched by your love
Even if I never see you again
Tomorrow is my last lecture, and I don’t have use of my car. Thing about Chinese families is, even if it is ‘your’ car, its always requisitioned whenever someone else needs it. This inconvenience wouldn’t even be a problem if Angel didn’t contrive to smash up her car of course.
I want to be able to have the freedom to spend some time with my mates whenever and wherever. Some people I probably will never see again because we’re all graduating, and I want to spend time with them. Although I’ll be honest and say that I want to spend more time with Sarah above anything else, and I want to have the option of rocking up anywhere.
So I am kind of attracted to her, so what? She’s a good friend: spunky, smart, funny, and pretty to boot. I enjoy spending time with her.
God knows what’s going to happen tomorrow, and that unknowingness really riles me primarily because when the unknown happens, I want to seize the moment, not say ‘Oh, sorry guys, I have no wheels’ or have to ask someone to send me home after.
Plus I hate driving my dad’s car. A car like that suggests money, and I resist that idea. I don’t want to appear like ‘just another’ rich Asian student whose family has a thick chequebook. I’m a guy who works two jobs and about thirty plus hours a week while studying full time. I earn what I have because I’ve never been given anything.
When the parents had money, I never had a dime. I worked for my money, and saved it so that I can afford slightly nicer things. And then my dad drives up in a damn Mercedes-Benz and everyone assumes I have it easy.
And now that they don’t have the damn money anymore, they take my car because apparently Angel, who fucking crashed her car, has to go to work, hence she needs to drive up to town. Damn bitch fucked up her own wheels, she can fucking take a bus for all I fucking care.
And now I might not have the opportunity to go anywhere and do whatever with my mates… Or Sarah. And come graduation, I won’t see her again.
No comments:
Post a Comment