Monday, 26 November 2007

Roadtrip: Day One

I just found out today that I didn’t get into Masters, and I’m far enough down the reserve list that I probably won’t get a shot with the second round of offers. It’s like this sudden deep hollow feeling in the pit of your stomach, this sudden sense of complete loss. I’ve planned my next year around the possibility of getting into the programme, now that I’m not; I guess it’s time for a massive re-strategy.

Getting a phone call telling you the bad news invariably sucks. It sucks even more when they break it to you on holiday. I don’t quite think I can enjoy the rest of this trip. And I so want out of the bottle shop. I was looking towards studying and maybe tutoring, and the fact that I certainly don’t have the studying at the moment is too hard to comprehend. I’m still trying to process it, three hours later.

The bottle shop is a decent job, to be sure, but it’s also a dead end job. Working there, you know it’s the end of the road if you stay here too long, it’s depressing. I’ve probably stayed too long.

I can’t, and don’t really want to go back to Singapore, which means I have to find a job here, and that is going to be very tough. What can a guy do with a basic degree? Not as much as I would like to. Work cases? Do social work? I don’t know. It sucks to know that it’s not how well you did academically that was the problem; it’s who you are and what you did during your interview.

I could really use a hug right now, and the one person I want it from is a few hundred kilometres away. Thursday can’t come fast enough.

Have to apply for jobs once I get back. This sucks.

No comments: