Thursday, 26 July 2007

Returning.

And I'm supposed to be in school doing work on my thesis. Damn. Oh well, when the bug strikes, the bug strikes.

Following poem inspired by Blessed Union of Souls’ ‘Light In Your Eyes’, which so conveniently had to be playing in the background when I stopped to muse about the nature of individuated versus group-based prejudice of outgroups in a minimum contact paradigm.

Okay. So I'm a not so closet romantic. Deal with it.

(For Naley.)

Returning.

I love you more than I should
More than is good for me
I care more than I dare to admit
Spells the end of us both

Hold me close
Say my name
Don’t tell me about loss and gain

Let’s just dance
In this rain
Where two hearts are one and the same


These same roads that I drive
Twenty-four steps to your door
Light in the window says ‘home’
Why are you there all alone?

Sing a song
Lullaby
Of all that’s good and nothing will die

Those three words
Not aloud
Let me sink and drift in the sound


Our timing is cruel
A sea of maybes too hard to pull through
Was it me? Or was it you?
Was the distance more than we could use?

I am falling
Say to me
Need a reason to breathe deeply again

Tomorrow
Comes today
Let’s pretend that it’s all okay


The clock is winding down
I should be going home now
Cold and silent in my bed
Wondering if you’re thinking of me instead?

I love you more than I should
More than is good for me


EDIT: Upon reflection, it is more a song than a poem isn't it? I've got a tune in my head right now. Just too damn lazy to walk outside and get the guitar.

No comments: