Saturday, 14 July 2007

Favourite Mistake

So I took my time to gather where I’m supposed to be
And for a while I thought there was just you and me
And maybe I made some assumptions of that fact
Maybe I believed that you had always got my back
But now I see that I’m not so special
All that time, I wished that I was special
To you

So we draw the lines and then erase them from the sand
Make believe the things we said and did I understand
And when you held me close to you the other night
Was it me you were holding or was there no one else in sight?
And I thought that for one moment
Maybe, it was only for that moment
We were

‘Cause sometimes I think that we weren’t just playing pretend
And pretending was never part of the plan
Was it just me refusing just to see?
That there was never going to be a you and me?
And we say that all the people fade to black
When all along, we knew that what we lacked
Was love

So maybe it’s stupid to believe that I stood a chance
And you stated from the outset that there was another one
But even so with all this time
And the people we’ve left behind
Surely there’s not just friendship there?
Maybe deep down inside you do care
And not say it

Can you just live and just continue to be friends?
When every waking moment is a longer moment to see each other again?
Don’t pretend that it’s just me who’s falling
When all the time it’s me that you’ve been calling
In the moments that you feel most alive
Is it me, or someone else by your side?
Again?

Because time, it does wash away some stains
Like water, like the river after rain
Falling over, and under, and the spaces between
Seeking tomorrow, forever, and a moment within
Got to find a way out of this place
Somewhere out in the midst of space
Where we are

It’s hard but I don’t think I can quite erase
The feeling inside of me I can’t just fake
It’s stupid and dumb and a million other things
But I’ll be waiting through the wind and rain
You might not know that I care
But I’ll always be the guy who’s there
To take you home

So maybe it is a one-sided affair
We’ve both got someone else out there
But in these spaces and these uncertainties
A little wrong felt so right for me
Even if there never is an us
I’ll cherish those moments and I trust
You’ll do the same

Maybe at the end, being buddies is the better way
Although if we never tried who are we to say?
We may never face each other
But we can always stand back to back
And that’s okay with me

No comments: