Monday, 14 April 2008

Devil's Bargains.

I hate being forced into situations with no clear exit strategy. When regardless of your intentions or actions, you get screwed over. I don’t like being told what to do, and it’s compounded when I’m given two bad choices, and forced to pick one.

These either/or situations are deeply frustrating; in part because I am forced, and in part because I find them inherently unfair. Its worse when you’re told to go do something which you know will make things worse, but not doing it is equally bad.

But people seem to like trapping others in such devil’s bargains. I suppose it gives a feeling of control, watching the target squirm or dance to their tune. Either way the target loses. Either way, you get your way. I’m tired of being on that losing end at home and at work.

I hate losing, and I hate being forced or restricted. But I can’t lash out or retaliate because I know I’ll feel bad about it after, even if it’s fully justifiable. And I’m not equipped to just walk away and look out only for myself. It is easier to be selfish and self-centred, but I’m not like that.

What sucks is that some will construe that as a character flaw.

No comments: