Wants vs Shoulds.
Char said that she felt that we were focusing more on what ‘we want’ versus ‘what we should do’. It’s a fair statement, but I find myself wondering what exactly ‘should’ entails. For the life of me, I can’t figure it out.
I guess the question is what I want versus what kind of person I should be.
What I want in the immediate future:
1. To get a decent job within the counselling or helping professions, at least for the next nine months.
2. To get more involved in Church work, particularly in the area of small group ministries or cells.
3. To have spare time to spend with Charmaine, despite all other commitments.
4. To get to know and become closer to people who live and work around Perth. Having lots of international student friends also mean that they’ll be gone very quickly.
5. To get into the Masters of Applied Clinical Psychology programme at any university. Barring that, a Masters of Applied Counselling will be a close backup.
6. To save up enough money over this year to take a proper holiday before school starts in 2009.
7. To enjoy myself as much as possible in this ‘free year’ that I’m having
8. To be the solid, responsible, caring person that I know I am.
9. To make Charmaine happy.
10. To pray more and be more tangibly Christian in my approach to life and others.
So if that’s my ‘wants’… What on earth are my ‘should’s? Hmmm….
2 comments:
These sound like the "shoulds" I was talking about.
When I said "wants", I meant immediate gratification that might not pay off as well in the long run.
But yeah, they sound good. And I love you too!
I guess it's hard because I wasn't sure what you meant when you said what we 'want'.
And I love you too.
Post a Comment