Musings on obsession.
Where does love stop and obsession begin? Is there a clear line between a genuine affection and an unhealthy infatuation?
I’d like to consider an obsession as an overwhelming desire or focus on one thing (be it a person, an activity, an object, etc) to the exclusion or trivialisation of all else, occupying thought and influencing action; whereby not having that thing causes emotional distress.
Question therefore, is whether what you feel is love or is it an unhealthy obsession? I would not presume to define love, or say how one should love something or someone. But I think love requires a mutual emotional and mental investment, whereas an obsession tends to be one sided.
Mutual obsessions can exist, but they’re still not love. The potential for obsession to become love is there, but that would require a mutual redefinition of that relationship.
I hope you can sort out what exactly it is you feel for him soon.
No comments:
Post a Comment