Singapore: 18:15-19:40
I’m typing this in the cab on the way to Luke’s place. I’ve just popped by to visit the grandmother and drop off some random items. Going to meet up with Angeline and Mingyang later.
Singapore hasn’t changed much since last I recall. The people actually seem just that little bit nicer than I recall. Or maybe it’s just my prejudices over exaggerating those ills in my mind. Maybe it’s who I encounter. I wait to be surprised.
It’s strange to come back as a foreigner; to not recall the name of roads or where this or that is. There’s also a huge Ferris wheel ala the London Eye dominating the coastal skyline. In my opinion, a massive eye sore, but to the billions of tax dollars poured into its construction, a object of considerable pride.
A welcome change is the ease of transit on the major expressways, I type decently fast, and even so, at this exact moment I’ve just passed by the Serangoon exit on the CTE. Which is pretty good by any standards, having only been on the road for ten or so minutes. Or maybe I’ve gotten used to the extreme distances in Perth.
I hope Char is holding up well. Her grand dad is having some rather serious health problems, and she’s going to be spending most of the night in vigil. I hope it’s just a scare and not anything else more serious, or permanent. I hope and pray.
Charmaine just messaged me. Her grand dad has just passed away.
I am struck speechless. The unspoken half-formed prayer in my mind blown away by that little text message.
No comments:
Post a Comment