Friday, 28 December 2007

On governments: a short rant.

The nature of governance, to me at least, entails the stewardship of the people and their accumulated resources. To that end, I believe that the quality of life is far more important than building a ‘world-class economy’ on the backs of the populace, or building skyscrapers to rival your neighbours, and so on.

Ambrose Bierce once wrote that politics is a matter of personal interests masquerading as a contest of principles.

I think very often the governments of this world pursue unknown agendas, or seek to herd their erstwhile sheep in a specific direction. Governance seems to be less about stewardship, and more about control, and the imposing (dare I say inflicting?) of one’s convictions and perceptions on the people you govern.

The non-separation of church and state found in some nations riles me. Religion is one matter, politics is another. That both are in an uneasy union simply places more chains on the persons under that government.

What concerns me is that under some regimes, religious non-conformity has retroactive consequences; or that some governments demand specific religiosities. For example, in Malaysia, a Malay is by definition a Muslim, regardless of the faith he may profess, or may choose to profess.

I think most governments have realised that the power is in the people. The mass has a far greater ability to change the nation than the leadership of the few. Therefore, it is probably expedient to either control the population, or blind the population to where the reins of power lie.

It’s a fine balance, unknowing subjugation versus outright rebellion. In a way I applaud the way some governments play their citizens. It’s an art, even though I detest it.

Thankfully, this job is made far easier by the fact that people are largely sheep, and more than willing to take the easy way out and follow the herd. It is exceptionally easy in this day and age to herd people’s collective consciousness down the garden path you choose. The media is a weapon of subtle coercion, spin is everything.

No comments: