Graduation.
Graduation. Like the closing of a much cherished novel. At the same time, an almost undeniable compulsion to cease reading and begin writing the book of your own life. Time to cause ripples in the pond.
It is the first graduation I have attended in all my twenty-five years, despite my normal disinclination. A time of beginnings and endings, of new endeavours and bittersweet partings.
I met James, who was accepted into the masters programme, and has been waxing lyrical about how much he’s enjoying it, despite the obscene workload.
I bumped into Shanti and Michael, who are still dating and look to be going strong, Michael being as contrary as ever.
I met Dave, who’s not going back to Singapore, but will be staying and applying for permanent residency.
I met Jon, who’s in the same boat, still trying to get a job and trying to get into masters next year.
I said goodbye to Sarah, who flew back to Singapore after a quick dinner. I will miss her greatly; she has been a great friend.
I met Tara, who’s gotten a job and is now looking at a good job in human resources.
I met Thorvald, who’s as absolutely silly and funny as ever.
Lots of people, different stories. Different threads in life. I cannot help but feel slightly melancholy. Not so long ago we were all undergraduates trying to flounder our way through university as best we could. Now, we’re thrust out into the world, and in a sense, charged to stir up some waves as we go along.
I find that even though I’ve finished my university studies, I have the time to wonder what to do with my life. My first love has always been writing, and now that I can be whoever I want to be, that first love comes to the fore. Should I pursue her? Tempestuous and capricious mistress that she is? Or should I work within my chosen field? Psychology? Or pick another field? Academia, perhaps?
It comes down to a single goal. I want to make a difference. I want to be heard. I want to matter. It’s a goal that can be achieved in whatever I do. Question is, which path do I take? Do I choose to write and hope that those words make a difference? Do I counsel and hope that I can make a difference in those lives I deal with? Do I study and lecture and hope to make a difference in the lives of my students? Should I do it all?
Graduation.
No comments:
Post a Comment