Tuesday, 26 June 2007

I got pig iron.

I despise things which are tedious. In fact, I have a complete abject terror of it. If nothing else I hope that when the times comes for me to lay down my charge, that I can look back and say that I have not lived a tedious life, nor had a tedious job, or heaven forbid that I was a tedious person!

So what’s the deal with all this ‘tediousity’? I have, dear friends, a great deal of data entry to complete. It is hard enough to get motivated to do the readings required to attempt to get onto a decent standing with which to write my thesis, let alone face the challenge of entering 158 or so questionnaires worth of data into SPSS, and face after that the even more horrific concept of data analysis.

Winston Churchill once said, “We shall not fail or falter; we shall not weaken or tire... Give us the tools and we will finish the job”. Although I fear that numbers would frighten me far more than the prospect of annihilation by foreign powers. At least with a physical enemy you have the chance of fighting back. What can one man do against the collective weight of mathematics coupled with the recurrent boredom of data entry that leads to that mathematics? I cringe.

“It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required.” – Winston Churchill

No comments: