Friday, 2 May 2008

It's all about the money.

I read an article about how the middle-class in Europe is slowly being financially straight-jacketed by increasing inflation. In my somewhat untrained mind, it seems that similar things are happening here in Australia, and even back home in Singapore. The rich get richer, the poor get poorer, and the middle class gets squeezed.

Looking around at other jobs, I’ve realised that many jobs within the media and business sectors here offer around A$35-40k per annum salaries to fresh graduates, compared to Singapore’s S$25k per annum average.

In comparison, a job within the helping professions (ie: my area at the moment) pays around A$30-35k per annum, and requires you to have both a degree, and experience. I’m a bit miffed.

Thankfully the psychologist jobs I see (albeit few) pay around A$60-80k per annum, dependent on experience. That’s a comfort. At least when I do graduate, I’ll be earning a bit more than the next guy (after two years of school and another two of work experience).

No comments: