Sunday, 20 May 2007

In Memoriam, G. B.

Twixt dark and dust lay pleasant shade
I was wroth to comprehend
That in allotted time so short
Called to be home again
What booming laugh, what wry wit
Shall never befall thy ears
Things left unsaid and undone
Travel no further than the passing of the years
Disconsolate and inconsolable
Gentle breath exhales
Who trusted love in all its deeds
Whose shadow quickly pales
Moments ere in passing
Moments ere brief yet sure
Bring my soul to the fire
Breaking golden upon the shore
Cast no longer a light for me
Candlelight flutters, gasping
Cut short not to passing
Extinguished light now everlasting
Take thine weary soul and rest
Upon the banks of Jordan’s shore
Green grass of yesteryear
Green forever more
Never more to speak thy words
Liberal yet ever true
Weathered by journey’s end
Found thy way back to you
I knew not this man who lies in dust
Know not the trials and his cares
Although escaping mortal coil
He lies, yet lies not there
No matter what the morrow dawns
I hold these truths to be true
To feel the sorrow in my heart
That before passing, I knew not you
Lessons learned from conversation
Clocks whirr and chime
This is the day, this is the hour
This is thy moment, this is thy time

Recce in pacem, Padre Beeson

No comments: